Chinese Sweet and Sour Sticky Ribs
These deliciously sweet and sour sticky ribs are so tender they just fall off the bone.
4 hrs 30 mins total time
20 mins active time
For the braising liquid:
- 1 cup (8 fl oz) fresh orange juice
- 1 cup (10½ oz) orange marmalade
- 1 cup (12½ oz) honey
- ½ cup (4 fl oz) rice wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup (2¾ fl oz) hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (1½ oz) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp seedless tamarind pulp
- 1 yellow onion
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 oz ginger
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
For the ribs:
- 4½ lb baby back pork rib racks
large ones cut in half
For the glaze:
- 3 tbsp (2½ oz) honey
- ⅓ cup (2 oz) dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1Blend all the braising ingredients listed below until smooth. Place the ribs in a 5½-quart (10-inch) Dutch oven, pour over the braising liquid and cover.
- 2Insert the wire rack into position 8.
- 3Place in the oven and start the timer. Cook until tender.
- 4For easy cleaning and to avoid burning, line the roasting pan with foil and place the broiling rack on top. Place half of the ribs on the rack.
- 5Whisk together the honey, sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and 2 tablespoons of the braising liquid.
- 6Move the wire rack to position 4.
- 7Generously brush the ribs with some of the glaze.
- 8Place in the oven and start the timer.
- 9Remove from the oven, brush with some more glaze and return to the oven.
- 10Start the timer and broil for a further 2 minutes.
- 11The ribs should be well browned and caramelized. If not, give it a bit more.
- 12Place the ribs onto a serving platter, cover with foil and keep warm. Place the remaining ribs on the rack and brush with some of the glaze.
- 13Place in the oven and start the timer.
- 14Remove from the oven, brush with some of the glaze and return to the oven.
- 15Start the timer and broil for a further 2 minutes.
- 16If not, give it a bit more.
- 17Serve brushed with the remaining glaze.