Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs with Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
To elevate the flavor of roast chicken thighs, we combined honey, soy sauce, mustard, and cornstarch and cooked it until thickened. Then we brushed it onto the chicken before and after cooking for an even, burnished glaze. We roasted sweet potatoes chunks right alongside the chicken and tossed them with thinly sliced fennel and peppery arugula to make a full meal.
1 hr total time
25 mins active time
- Vegetable oil spray
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 4 (5-7 oz) bone-in chicken thighs
- 8 oz sweet potatoes
peeled and cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp table salt
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ½ fennel bulb
cored and thinly sliced
- 2 oz (2 cups) baby arugula
- 1Insert wire rack into position 8. Meanwhile, continue to next step.
- 2Line small rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with vegetable oil spray.
- 3Combine honey, soy sauce, mustard, and cornstarch in medium bowl and microwave on high power, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Let glaze cool slightly, then reserve half for serving.
- 4Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Make 3 diagonal slashes through skin of each thigh with sharp knife (do not cut into meat).
- 5Add chicken to bowl with remaining glaze and toss to coat. Arrange chicken skin side up on one half of prepared sheet.
- 6Toss sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil, paprika, and ¼ teaspoon salt together in separate bowl. Arrange potatoes in even layer on empty side of sheet.
- 7Once preheated, place chicken in oven and start timer.
- 8Chicken should be browned and registers 175°F. If not, give it a bit more. Remove sheet from oven.
- 9Move wire rack to position 4 and start timer. Meanwhile, make dressing.
- 10Whisk vinegar, pepper, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt together in large bowl. Transfer potatoes to bowl with dressing and let cool slightly.
- 11Return sheet to oven and start timer.
- 12The chicken should be browned. If not, give it a bit more. Remove sheet from oven and let chicken rest while finishing salad.
- 13Add fennel and arugula to cooled potatoes and gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 14Brush chicken with reserved glaze.
- 15Serve chicken with sweet potato salad.