Shrimp, Fennel and Orange en Papillote
This simple dish boasts the elegant flavor pairings of shrimp, fennel and orange. Wrapped in a parcel with vibrant tomatoes, these ingredients work magic while gently steaming. Unwrap at the table for some culinary theatre to reveal the wafts of scented steam and pretty colors.
35 mins total time
15 mins active time
- 2 small fennel bulbs
- 1 orange
- 8 oz cherry Kumato tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 20 (1¼ lb) peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) olive oil
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty bread
grilled, to serve
- 1 Insert the wire rack into position 5. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 2Trim the top off the fennel, reserve the fronds for garnish. Using a mandoline, thinly slice the fennel and place in a large bowl. Peel the orange zest into thin strips with a vegetable peeler, avoiding the white pith. Add to the fennel.
- 3Add the tomatoes, shrimp and oil to the bowl, season with the salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- 4Place a rectangular piece of parchment paper about 11-inch x 18-inch on top of a piece of foil about the same size. Place half the mixture on the parchment and repeat.
- 5Working with one parcel at a time, enclose the shrimp mixture and seal. Place the parcels in the roasting pan.
- 6Once preheated, place the pan in the oven and start the timer.
- 7Carefully open one of the parcels so it can be resealed. The shrimp should be opaque and just cooked through. If not, reseal the parcel and give it a bit more.
- 8Garnish with the fennel fronds and serve with grilled bread.