Mocha Mousse Cake
9 hrs total time
40 mins active time
- 12¼ oz dark chocolate
chopped and divided
- 4½ oz unsalted butter
chopped and divided
- 1 tbsp (¾ oz) honey
- 7 oz digestive biscuits
- 4 large eggs
- 10 fl oz whipping cream
- 2 tbsp strong espresso coffee
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate curls
- 1Grease a 9-inch (base measurement) round springform pan. Line the bottom and side with parchment paper.
- 2Place 1 ¾ oz of the chocolate, 3 ½ oz butter and honey in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water). Stir with a metal spoon until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- 3Put the biscuits in a food processor and process until finely crushed. Add the biscuit crumbs to chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- 4Spread over the bottom of the prepared pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, put the remaining dark chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water). Stir with a metal spoon until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Stir in the egg yolks until combined.
- 6Assemble the mixer with the whisk attachment. Add the egg whites to the large mixer bowl. Slowly turn mixer to AERATE/WHIP setting and beat egg whites until firm peaks form.
- 7Assemble the mixer with the scraper whisk and the small mixer bowl. Put the cream and coffee in the small mixer bowl and attach the pouring cover. Slowly turn the mixer to CREAMING/BEATING setting and beat for 2 minutes until very soft peaks form.
- 8Add half the cream mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Gently fold through half of the egg whites and mix until combined. Repeat with the remaining cream mixture and egg whites.
- 9Spoon the mixture over the biscuit base and level the surface. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight until set.
- 10To serve, dust cake with cocoa powder and top with chocolate curls.Tip: Digestive biscuits are semi-sweet Scottish cookies. Look for them in the international section of large grocery stores with other items from the U.K.