Sticky Date Waffles with Butterscotch Sauce
1 hr total time
20 mins active time
- 9 oz pitted dried dates
- 1½ cups (12 fl oz) water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (8 fl oz) milk
- 1 cup (8 oz) unsalted butter
melted and cooled
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups (1 lb) self-rising flour
- ⅓ cup (2¼ oz) superfine sugar
For the butterscotch sauce:
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup (8 fl oz) heavy cream
- Whipped cream
- 1To make the butterscotch sauce, place the butter, sugar and cream in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- 2Put the dates and the water in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the baking soda. Let stand for 20 minutes until the dates have broken down.
- 3Put the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined.
- 4Combine the flour and sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- 5Whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture to form a smooth batter. Whisk in the date mixture until smooth.
- 6Select CLASSIC waffle setting and dial up number 6 on temperature control dial.
- 7Preheat until the orange light flashes and the word HEATING disappears.
- 8Pour ½ cup of the batter into each waffle square and close the lid to cook.
- 9Repeat with the remaining batter.
- 10Serve with butterscotch sauce and whipped cream.