Homemade Spicy Barbecue Sauce
50 mins total time
20 mins active time
Makes 4½ cups
For the spiced barbecue rub:
- 4 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp dried minced onion
- 2 tbsp dried minced garlic
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- ½ tsp yellow mustard seeds
- ½ tsp brown mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp flaky sea salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup (1¾ oz) dark brown sugar
For the homemade spicy barbecue sauce:
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 long hot red chili pepper or habanero pepper
- 4 cups (32 fl oz) canned crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup (2¾ oz) spiced barbecue rub
- ⅓ cup (2¼ oz) dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup (2¾ fl oz) unsulfured molasses
- ¼ cup (3¼ oz) honey
- 2 tbsp Dijon or whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1To make the spiced barbecue rub, put the paprika, dried onion, dried garlic, peppercorns, mustard seeds, salt and cayenne in the blender and secure the lid. PUREE for 45 seconds until the peppercorns are finely chopped. Add the brown sugar and secure the lid. BLEND for 15 seconds. You will need ½ cup (2 ¾ oz) for the homemade spicy barbecue sauce, transfer the remaining spice mixture to a clean, dry, airtight storage jar. Store in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months.
- 2To make the homemade spicy barbecue sauce, put the onion, garlic and hot pepper into the blender and secure the lid. PULSE 5-10 times until finely chopped, scraping down the mixture as required. Spoon into a bowl.
- 3Put the crushed tomatoes, ½ cup (2 ¾ oz) spiced barbecue rub, sugar, vinegar, molasses, honey and mustard in the blender and secure the lid. PUREE 40 – 50 seconds or until well combined.
- 4Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until softened. Add the tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes until sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- 5Transfer to the blender and secure the lid. BLEND for 10 seconds until smooth. Transfer to an airtight storage jar and refrigerate for up to 2 months.
- 6Use with barbecued pork ribs, steak or chicken. Use as a sauce on pizza, burgers, or wraps.