Air-Fried Chicken Wings with Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
These air-fried wings are a game changer. They take less than 20 minutes to cook and are smothered in a finger lickin’ sweet and smoky sauce. What’s not to love!
45 mins total time
25 mins active time
Makes about 18
For the chipotle barbecue sauce:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3½ oz can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 14½ oz can diced tomatoes
- ⅓ cup (3¼ oz) tomato paste
- ¾ cup (6 fl oz) apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup (5¼ oz) demerara sugar
- 2 tbsp (1½ oz) honey
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt
For the chicken wings:
- 3 lb chicken wing drumettes and flats (party wings)
- 1 tbsp milk powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- 2Add the chipotle and spices and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, honey, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes, or until reduced by a quarter. Cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 3Insert the wire rack into position 7, place the roasting pan on the rack so it sits beneath the basket to catch any drips during cooking. Place the air fry basket into rack position 3. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 4Place the wings on paper towels and pat dry to remove any excess moisture.
- 5Place the milk powder, salt and oil in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the wings and toss to coat.
- 6Once preheated, carefully place the wings in the basket, evenly spaced apart and start Autopilot. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 7Blend the sauce until smooth.Tip: If your blender lid doesn't have safety clips, firmly hold the lid down with a tea towel when turning on. Sauce can be made a day ahead, store covered, in the refrigerator. Makes about 4 cups (32 fl oz)
- 8The wings should be browned and cooked through. If not, give it a bit more.
- 9Transfer the wings to a large bowl. Pour over approximately half the sauce and stir to coat.
- 10Transfer the wings to a platter, sprinkle with cilantro and serve with some of the remaining sauce.Tip: Any leftover chipotle barbecue sauce can be cooled and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The sauce goes great with pulled beef!