Braised Spiced Chicken with Pickled Beet Salad
1 hr 45 mins total time
45 mins active time
- 2 tbsp middle eastern spice blend such as baharat or za’atar
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) olive oil
divided, plus extra for greasing
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1½ cups (12 fl oz) chicken stock
- 3 thyme sprigs
For the beet salad:
- 1 cup (8 fl oz) white wine vinegar
- ½ cup (3½ oz) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp flaky sea salt
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 medium red beet
- 1 medium yellow beet
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- 4 red radishes
washed and trimmed
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- ¼ cup (¼ oz) loosely packed mint leaves
- ½ pomegranate
- 1Put the baharat, salt and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a bowl. Mix well to combine.
- 2Put the chicken on a large plate. Spoon over the spice mixture and rub all over to coat the chicken.
- 3Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons of the remaining oil. Add 2 pieces of chicken, skin side down and cook for 2-3 minutes until browned, then turn over and cook the other side for 1 minute. Transfer to the roasting pan, skin side up. Wipe the skillet clean and repeat with 2 teaspoons oil and the remaining chicken.
- 4Add the remaining oil to the skillet with the onion, garlic and pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until the onion starts to soften. Add the stock and gently scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to dissolve any sediment. Bring to a boil, add the thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- 5Pour the stock mixture over the chicken. Cover tightly with foil.
- 6Insert the wire rack into the bottom shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select ROAST/CONVECTION/350°F/60 minutes and press start.
- 7Once preheated, put the chicken in the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and roast for a further 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- 8To make the beet salad, put the vinegar, sugar, salt and peppercorns in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- 9Using a mandolin, thinly slice the beets, fennel and radishes. Pour 1/3 cup (2 ¾ fl oz) of the pickling liquid into one bowl. Add the red beet. Pour the remaining pickling liquid into a separate bowl. Add the yellow beet, fennel and radishes. Let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 10Just before serving, drain the vegetables and combine in a clean bowl. Whisk the olive oil and pomegranate molasses together and pour over the pickled vegetables. Add the mint and toss gently to combine.
- 11Transfer the chicken to serving plates, and spoon over some of the pan juices. Scatter over the pomegranate seeds and serve with the beet salad.