Chicken Cacciatore and Rice Sheet Pan
Traditional cacciatore flavors of tomato, onion, olives and mushrooms are infused through this dish by cooking it all together. For extra flavor you can mix all the seasoning ingredients with the chicken and refrigerate for a couple of hours until you’re ready to cook.
1 hr total time
15 mins active time
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp Italian dried herbs
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 oz baby bella mushrooms
- ⅔ cup (4½ oz) long grain rice
rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup (6 fl oz) chicken stock
- 14½ oz can crushed tomatoes
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ cup (2 oz) pitted green olives
- Basil leaves
- 1Place the paprika, dried herbs, ½ teaspoon salt, pepper and oil in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the chicken and mix to coat.
- 2Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until browned. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- 3Insert the wire rack into position 6. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 4Place all the ingredients listed below in the roasting pan and stir to combine. Spread the mixture evenly over the pan.
- 5Place the chicken on the rice mixture and pour over any juices from the chicken. Cover tightly with foil.
- 6Once preheated, place the pan in the oven and start the timer. When the oven signals, remove the foil and continue cooking.
- 7The chicken is ready when a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads a minimum of 167°F. The rice should be tender and have absorbed all the liquid. If not, give it a bit more.
- 8Top with the olives and basil and serve.