Classic Profiteroles with Warm Chocolate Sauce
Light and airy, these crispy little balls of choux delight are filled with vanilla bean ice cream and served drizzled with a warm chocolate sauce.
2 hrs total time
40 mins active time
For the profiteroles:
- ⅔ cup (3½ oz) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 5 tbsp (2½ oz) unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup (2¾ fl oz) milk
- ⅓ cup (2¾ fl oz) water
- 3 large eggs
at room temperature
- Cooking spray
- 18 oz vanilla bean ice cream
- Powdered sugar
For the chocolate sauce:
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) heavy cream
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) milk
- 4 oz 70% dark chocolate
- 1Place the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- 2Place the butter, milk and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, immediately add the flour mixture all at once and stir vigorously for 3 minutes, or until the mixture comes away from the side of the pan and starts to form a ball.
- 3Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer and let it stand for 2 minutes to cool slightly. Start mixing on medium speed and add the eggs one at a time, beat for 3 minutes, or until smooth and glossy.
- 4Insert the wire rack into position 6. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 5Fitted with a ½-inch piping tube.
- 6Spray the pizza pan with the cooking spray. Pipe into 1½-inch rounds, about 1-inch high and about 1-inch apart.
- 7Lightly press the tip of each profiterole with a wet finger to flatten the peak. Spray with cooking spray to give them a shine.
- 8Once preheated, place the pan in the oven and start Autopilot.
- 9The profiteroles should crisp on the outside and dry in the center. If not, give it a bit more. Cool on the tray.
- 10Bring the cream and milk to a boil and remove immediately from the heat.
- 11Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and pour over the hot cream mixture. Stir until melted and smooth. Cover and set aside in a warm place to keep warm or refrigerate and reheat when needed.
- 12Use a serrated knife to slice a quarter off the base of each profiterole.
- 13Top each base with a scoop of ice cream and then the tops. Dust with powdered sugar. Spoon over the warm chocolate sauce and serve immediately.