Loaded Sweet Potato Fries
Indulge your cravings for crispy, flavorful fried dishes with healthier air-fried versions. In this crave-worthy dish, both chickpeas and sweet potatoes are air-fried until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside before being layered with lettuce, feta, jalapeños and pickled onions for a hearty snack or vegetarian meal that’s equal parts crispy, creamy, tangy and spicy.
3 hrs 40 mins total time
40 mins active time
For the pickled onions:
- 1 cup (8 fl oz) apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup (4 fl oz) red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup (1¾ oz) white sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 1 red onion
halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp whole black or pink peppercorns
For the chickpeas:
- 1 x 14 oz chickpeas
drained, rinsed and dried
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the sweet potato fries:
- 2 lb sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp ground sumac
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 2 oz feta cheese
- 2 tbsp pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- 1 jalapeño pepper
thinly sliced in rounds
- ½ cup (4½ oz) sour cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the vinegars, sugar, salt and allspice. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the onion and peppercorns. Transfer to a large jar and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 2 weeks.
- 2The oven will preheat. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 3In a bowl, combine the chickpeas and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat the chickpeas. Spread in an even layer in the air fry basket.
- 4Once preheated, place the basket into rack position 3 and start the timer.
- 5The skin of the chickpeas should have split and they are crisp and browned. If not, give it a bit more. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 6Trim the ends off the sweet potatoes. Cut into 3-inch pieces then into ½-inch thick batons. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 7In a small bowl, stir together the spices, salt and pepper.
- 8Put the sweet potatoes in a large bowl and spray with generous amount of olive oil spray. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the sweet potatoes and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer in the air fry basket.
- 9Place the basket in rack position 3 and start the timer.
- 10They should be crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. To test if they’re cooked through, insert a small sharp knife or skewer, it should slide easily. If not, give it a bit more.
- 11Place the lettuce on the serving platter, and scatter the sweet potato fries on top, followed by the chickpeas. Sprinkle the feta, pepitas and jalapeños evenly on top, and add as many of the pickled onions as you like. Dollop evenly with the sour cream, season with pepper and serve.