Peach and Cinnamon Crumble
1 hr 35 mins total time
45 mins active time
For the poached peaches:
- 3 cups (21 oz) sugar
- 8 cups (64 fl oz) water
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 6 medium fresh free-stone peaches
For the spice mixture:
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
For the topping:
- ⅔ cup (3½ oz) all-purpose flour
- 3½ oz unsalted butter
chilled, cut into cubes
- ⅓ cup (2¼ oz) light brown sugar
- ½ cup (1½ oz) old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup (1½ oz) sliced almonds
- ¼ cup (¾ oz) shredded coconut
- Crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream
- 1To make the poached peaches, put the sugar, water and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- 2Cut a small cross in the bottom of each peach. Add the peaches to the simmering liquid. Press a sheet of parchment paper onto the surface of the peaches. Simmer without a lid for 8-10 minutes until the peaches are just tender when tested with a skewer.
- 3Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peaches to a tray. Set the poaching liquid aside to cool.
- 4To make the spice mixture, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- 5To make the topping, put the flour in a bowl. Add the butter. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the brown sugar, oats, almonds and coconut and use your fingers to form clumps of crumble.
- 6Insert the wire rack into the middle shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select BAKE/350°F/CONVECTION/20 minutes and press start.
- 7Remove the skins from the peaches. Cut the peaches in half, remove the pits, then cut each half into 4 wedges. Put the peaches in a 6 cup (1 ½ qt) baking dish. Sprinkle over the spice mixture and stir gently to coat the fruit. Pour over ¼ cup (2 fl oz) of the poaching liquid.
- 8Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the peaches.
- 9Once preheated, put the crumble in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- 10Allow the crumble to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve with crème fraiche or ice cream.Tip: Before you start, check that the baking dish fits in the oven.