Rye and Caraway Bread
3 hrs 30 mins total time
20 mins active time
Makes 1 loaf
- 2⅓ cups bread flour
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 cups dark rye flour
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp instant dried yeast
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1⅔ cups warm water
- 1Place 1 2/3 cups (250g) bread flour, rye flour, yeast, salt, seeds and molasses in the bowl of a bench mixer. Using the dough hook, mix on low speed to combine. Add the warm water and mix until the dough starts coming together.
- 2Add the remaining flour and knead on medium speed for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- 3Transfer the dough to a heatproof bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place the bowl in the oven in rack position 8.
- 4Select PROOF/88°F/CONVECTION/40 MINUTES and press START. Proof the dough until the dough doubles in size.
- 5Flour a 10-inch x 6-inch oval or 9-inch round proofing basket. If you don’t have a proofing basket, flour a baking tray.
- 6Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a tight ball then shape into an 8-inch log. Place the dough into the floured basket or on the baking tray. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and place in the oven in rack position 8.
- 7Select PROOF/88°F/CONVECTION/40 MINUTES and press START. Proof until the loaf doubles in size.
- 8Remove the loaf from the oven.
- 9Reset the oven. Select BAKE/350°F/CONVECTION/50 MINUTES and press START to preheat.
- 10If using a proofing basket, flour a baking tray and gently turn the dough out onto the floured tray.
- 11Once preheated, place the loaf in the oven and bake for 50 minutes until golden brown and sounds hollow when the base is tapped.
- 12Cool bread on a wire rack.