Seafood Chowder Pie
Shrimp, cod and salmon jostle around in a light velvety sauce, with a subtle zing of lemon and mustard. Finished off with layers of crisp, golden filo, this comforting dish can be served with baby potatoes and a fresh salad or steamed greens.
1 hr 30 mins total time
50 mins active time
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz frozen chopped spinach
thawed and drained
- 2 oz unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup (1¾ oz) all-purpose flour
- 3⅓ cups (27 fl oz) milk
- ⅓ cup (1½ oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup (2½ oz) whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1⅓ cups (7 oz) frozen peas
- 7 oz shelled and deveined shrimp
- 12 oz cod fillets
- 5 oz skinless salmon fillets
- 2 tsp finely chopped dill
- 2 tsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- 1Place a 12-inch round (3½ quart) ovenproof pan over high heat. Add the oil and shallots and cook, stirring for 3 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant. Add the spinach and stir. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and set aside. Clean the pan.
- 2Melt the butter in the pan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk constantly for 2 minutes, or until it bubbles and forms a paste. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, whisking occasionally until the sauce boils and thickens.
- 3Add the cheese, mustard, lemon zest and juice and whisk until smooth. Add the salt and pepper and whisk.
- 4Add the peas, seafood and herbs to the sauce and mix well. Stir in the spinach mixture and remove from the heat.
- 5Insert the wire rack into position 6. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 6Cut into 2-inch strips.
- 7Place the melted butter in a large bowl. Dip the pastry strips in the butter. Gently scrunch the strips and place on the pie to cover the surface.
- 8Once preheated, place the pie in the oven and start the timer. When the Rotate Remind signals, rotate the pan and continue cooking.Tip: Cook the pie on the pizza pan to catch any drips during cooking.
- 9The pastry should be golden and crisp. If not, give it a bit more.
- 10Remove the pie from the oven and stand for 5 minutes.
- 11Spoon onto serving plates and serve.