Sheet Pan Eggplant and Tomato with Rigatoni
It doesn’t get any easier than this version of the traditional pasta alla Norma. There’s no sauteing or stirring, just place the pan in the oven and let the oven do the work while the pasta cooks away.
35 mins total time
10 mins active time
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 lb)
- 1½ lb cherry or grape tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
plus extra to season
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) olive oil
- 1 lb rigatoni
- ¼ cup (1½ oz) pitted sliced Kalamata olive
sliced in half
- 10 basil leaves
- Grated parmesan cheese
- 1Insert the wire rack into position 6. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 2Cut the eggplant into approximately ½-inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, garlic, salt, oregano, chili flakes and oil and toss to combine. Transfer to the roasting pan.
- 3Once preheated, place the pan in the oven and start the timer. Meanwhile, cook the pasta.
- 4Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and season well with salt. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions. Once cooked, reserve ½ cup (4 fl oz) of the cooking liquid and drain the pasta.
- 5The eggplant should be very tender when pierced with a small knife. If not, give it a bit more.
- 6Add the tomato mixture and ¼ cup (2 fl oz) of the reserved cooking liquid to loosen the sauce. Add more cooking liquid, if needed. Top with the olives and basil and finish with parmesan.