Ultimate Americana Cherry Pie
This is class cherry pie made better with a double crust, covered in crunchy coarse sugar. Autopilot bakes the pie in two stages, starting with a higher temperature that helps to set the crust and ensures a golden brown, flaky result with absolutely no soggy bottom.
6 hrs total time
1 hr active time
For the pie dough:
- 2⅔ cups (14 oz) bread flour
- 8¾ oz cold unsalted butter
- 2 tsp (½ oz) salt
- ⅔ cup (5½ fl oz) iced water
- Turbinado raw sugar
For the filling:
- ¼ cup (1) cornstarch
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) water
- 1½ lb frozen sour cherries
- 1 lemon
- 1¼ cups (8¾ oz) white sugar
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Ice cream
- 1Place the flour, butter, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse 10 times to work the butter into the flour. Add the iced water and pulse 5 times, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 2Turn the dough out onto the counter and bring together. Divide into 2 equal portions, shape each portion into a disc. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours, or overnight for best results. Chilling the dough is essential for the easiest rolling experience and the flakiest final crust. Meanwhile, make the filling.
- 3Combine the cornstarch and water and set aside. Put the cherries, strained lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan. Cover and cook on medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Add the dissolved cornstarch. Using a silicone spatula or wooden spoon, stir with gusto to prevent any lumps, until it boils and thickens. Pour into a heatproof bowl and cover with plastic wrap, directly onto the surface, to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 4 hours to cool.Tip: Popping a lid on the pan will speed up the process when using frozen fruit.
- 4Roll out both discs on a lightly floured counter until slightly larger than the pizza pan. Using the pizza pan as a guide, trim with a pizza cutter or sharp knife. One disc will be used to form the shell in step 5. The other disc can be wrapped and refrigerated until step 8.
- 5Gently ease the dough, without stretching, into a 9-inch metal pie dish. Press the dough into the corners and drape over the edge of the dish. The excess will be trimmed when applying the top. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to rest.
- 6Insert the wire rack into position 7. Cooking the pie close to the bottom elements helps get it toasty, developing a beautiful golden crust without blind baking. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 7Whisk together the egg and water, and set aside.
- 8Trim the bottom shell flush with the edge of the dish. Brush some of the egg wash on the rim of the crust. Pour the cooled filling into the crust ensuring the rim stays clean. Place the reserved top crust on top. Press to seal the edge. Gently fold under the excess dough to create the rim, pinch and crimp to create a decorative edge.
- 9Brush with the egg wash. Score the top to create vents for the steam to escape during baking. Sprinkle with the raw sugar. Tip: Pie can be refrigerated until ready to bake.
- 10Once preheated, place the pie on the pizza pan. Place in the oven and start Autopilot. Cook until the crust is crisp and golden brown.
- 11The pie should be golden and crisp. If not, give it a bit more.
- 12If there’s a cool breeze outside, or you live in an old cartoon, set the pie on the window sill to cool, otherwise just cool on the counter. Serve with ice cream.