Crunchy Smoked Chicken Burgers with Jalapeno Aioli
6 hrs 45 mins total time
45 mins active time
- 2 x 8 oz boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup (6 fl oz) buttermilk
- 2 tsp pinches of hickory wood chips
- 1 cup (5 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Vegetable oil
for shallow frying
- 4 brioche or hamburger buns
cut in half
- 4 Boston butter lettuce leaves
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup (2 oz) pickle slices
For the jalapeno aioli:
- ⅓ cup (2½ oz) aioli
- 1 tbsp sliced jalapenos
- 1Cut the chicken in half horizontally to give a total of 4 thin pieces. Place in a medium bowl. Add the buttermilk and turn the chicken to coat evenly. Cover with plastic wrap.
- 2Connect the large end of the hose to the Smoking Gun barrel. Add a pinch of wood chips to the burn chamber and place the other end of the hose under the plastic wrap with the opening sitting above the chicken. Seal with plastic wrap. Turn the smoking gun on to HIGH speed and ignite the wood chips. Switch to LOW speed for a few seconds until the bowl is filled with a dense smoke. Switch to OFF position. Remove the hose and reseal the plastic wrap. Refrigerate chicken for 6 hours or overnight.
- 3To make jalapeno aioli, combine aioli and jalapenos in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap.
- 4Add a pinch of wood chips to the burn chamber. Place the hose under the plastic wrap with the opening sitting above the aioli. Turn smoking gun on to HIGH speed to ignite wood chips. Switch to LOW speed and smoke for a few seconds until the bowl is filled with a dense smoke. Switch to OFF position. Remove the hose and reseal the plastic wrap. Infuse for 3 minutes, then stir well. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- 5Combine the flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and salt in a large bowl.
- 6One at a time, lift the chicken pieces from the buttermilk and coat in the flour mixture. Transfer to a large plate.
- 7Pour enough vegetable oil into a large frying pan to come ½-inch up the side of the pan and heat over a medium-high heat until a cube of bread bubbles when added.
- 8Shallow fry the chicken in the hot oil in two batches. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
- 9Spread the base of the buns with the jalapeno aioli. Top with chicken, lettuce, cheese, pickles and bun lids.
- 10To serve, insert a skewer or toothpick into the burger tops with some extra pickles, if desired.