Maple Pecan Tart with Smoked Ricotta Cream
2 hrs 15 mins total time
30 mins active time
For the pastry:
- Cooking spray
- 1⅔ cups (8½ oz) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp cold water
For the filling:
- ¾ cup (5 oz) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup (8 fl oz) heavy cream
- ¼ cup (1¼ oz) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) pure maple syrup
plus extra ½ cup (4oz) to serve
- 2 cups (80 oz) pecans
For the smoked ricotta cream:
- 1 cup (8 oz) ricotta cheese
- ½ cup (2½ oz) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 pinches of apple wood chips
- 1To make the pastry, lightly spray a 10-inch round x 1¼-inch deep loose-base tart pan with cooking spray.
- 2Process the flour, sugar and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- 3With the motor running, add the egg yolk and enough water until mixture forms a ball. Turn out and shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 4Roll out the pastry between two sheets of parchment paper until about 1/8-inch thick and large enough to line base and side of the prepared pan. Ease the pastry into the pan and lightly press over the base and side. Trim the edge. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (For a shortcut, skip steps 2 and 3 and use thawed, frozen pie crust instead).
- 5Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 6Line the pastry dough with parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and weights. Return to the oven and bake for 10–12 minutes or until the crust is light golden. Cool to room temperature.
- 7To make the filling, whisk the brown sugar, cream, flour and ¼ cup maple syrup in a medium bowl until smooth and combined.
- 8Scatter the pecans into the crust. Pour over the filling to cover nuts. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the filling is golden and just set. Cool the tart in the pan.
- 9To make the smoked ricotta cream, stir the ricotta, powdered sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl until combined. Cover with plastic wrap.
- 10Connect the large end of the hose to the Smoking Gun barrel. Add a pinch of wood chips to the burn chamber and place the other end of the hose under the plastic wrap with the opening sitting above the ricotta cream. Turn the smoking gun on to HIGH Speed to ignite wood chips. Switch to LOW Speed and smoke for a few seconds until the bowl is filled with a dense smoke. Switch to OFF position. Remove the hose and reseal the plastic wrap. Infuse for 3 minutes, then stir well. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- 11Remove the burnt wood chips from the burn chamber.
- 12Place extra maple syrup in a jug. Cover with plastic wrap. Add another pinch of the wood chips to the burn chamber. Place the hose under the plastic wrap with the opening sitting above the maple syrup. Turn the smoking gun on to HIGH Speed and ignite wood chips. Switch to LOW Speed and smoke for a few seconds until the jug is filled with a dense smoke. Switch to OFF position. Remove the hose and reseal plastic wrap. Infuse for 3 minutes, swirling the syrup occasionally.
- 13Transfer the tart to a serving plate. Serve with the smoked ricotta cream and smoked maple syrup.