Smoky Bloody Mary with Double-Smoked Bacon
30 mins total time
15 mins active time
For the double-smoked bacon:
- 2 slices bacon
- Pinch of hickory wood chips
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the smoky bloody Mary:
- 1 cup (8 oz) thick tomato juice
- ½ cup (4 fl oz) vodka
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp celery salt
- ½ cup ice-cubes
- Pinch of apple wood chips
- Small celery heart stalks
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2To smoke the bacon, place the bacon on a wire rack inside a roasting pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and golden. Cool on rack for 5 minutes. Transfer to a dish lined with parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap.
- 3Connect the large end of the hose to the Smoking Gun barrel. Add the hickory wood chips to the burn chamber and place the other end of the hose under the plastic wrap with the opening sitting above the bacon.
- 4Turn the smoking gun on to HIGH Speed and ignite the wood chips. Switch to LOW Speed for a few seconds until the dish is filled with a dense smoke. Switch to OFF position. Remove the hose and reseal the plastic wrap. Infuse for 3 minutes, then uncover and season the bacon with black pepper.
- 5Remove the burnt wood chips from the burn chamber.
- 6To make the smoky bloody Mary, combine tomato juice, vodka, lemon juice, Tabasco, Worcestershire, celery salt and ice in a cocktail shaker. Cover with plastic wrap.
- 7Add apple wood chips to the burn chamber. Place the hose under the plastic wrap with the opening sitting above the liquid. Turn the smoking gun on to HIGH Speed and ignite the wood chips. Switch to LOW Speed and smoke for a few seconds until the shaker is filled with a dense smoke. Switch to OFF position. Remove the hose and plastic wrap from the shaker. Cover with the lid and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- 8Pour evenly into two glasses. Secure the bacon and celery stalks on toothpicks and place on the edge of the glasses to serve.