Ruby Red Grapefruit Sorbet
4 hrs 45 mins total time
20 mins active time
Makes 1 quart
- ¾ cup (5¼ oz) granulated sugar
- 1½ cups (12 fl oz) water
- 1½ cups (12 fl oz) ruby red grapefruit juice
about 3 large grapefruit
- 1Put the sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat to medium high and bring the syrup to a simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes. Transfer to a large heatproof measuring cup. Allow to cool.
- 2Stir the grapefruit juice into the syrup. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours until cold.
- 3Pour the chilled mixture into the ice cream bowl. Set the ice cream maker to the desired setting and churn.
- 4Once the sorbet is frozen, spoon or scoop into chilled bowls or glasses and serve or transfer to a freezer-safe container, just large enough to contain the sorbet. Freeze for 2-3 hours or overnight for firmer sorbet.
- 5Store sorbet in the freezer for up to 3 weeks. The sorbet will become very firm after freezing overnight, so remove from the freezer and stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving for easier scooping.