Smoking in the Side Car
10 mins total time
10 mins active time
For the simple syrup:
- ¾ cup (6 fl oz) water
- ¾ cup (5 oz) granulated sugar
For the smoked sugar:
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Pinch of apple wood chips
For the cocktail:
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) Cognac
- 1 tbsp Cointreau
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp simple syrup
- ½ cup ice-cube
- Pinch of hickory wood chips
- Pinch of cracked black pepper
- 1Chill a cocktail glass in the refrigerator.
- 2To make the simple syrup, heat the water in a small saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Cool. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate. You will need 2 teaspoons for this recipe. Store the remaining in the refrigerator for cocktail making.
- 3To smoke the sugar, place the sugar a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Connect the large end of the hose to the Smoking Gun barrel. Add the apple wood chips to the burn chamber and place the other end of the hose under the plastic wrap with the opening sitting above the sugar.
- 4Turn the smoking gun on to HIGH Speed and ignite the wood chips. Switch to LOW Speed for a few seconds until the bowl is filled with a dense smoke. Switch to OFF position. Remove the hose and reseal the plastic wrap. Infuse for 3 minutes, shaking sugar occasionally.
- 5To make the cocktail, combine the Cognac, Cointreau, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of the simple syrup and ice in a cocktail shaker. Cover with plastic wrap.
- 6Add the hickory wood chips and pepper to the burn chamber of the smoking gun and place the other end of the hose under the plastic wrap with the opening sitting above the liquid. Turn the smoking gun on to HIGH Speed and ignite the wood chips. Switch to LOW Speed for a few seconds until the shaker is filled with a dense smoke. Switch to OFF position. Infuse for 30 seconds.
- 7Dip the rim of the chilled cocktail glass into the smoked sugar.
- 8Remove the hose and plastic wrap from the shaker. Cover with the lid and gently shake the cocktail.
- 9Strain into the prepared cocktail glass. Serve immediately.