How to deep clean a toaster oven
When it comes to regular, light cleanings, emptying the crumb tray and doing a quick wipe-down with a damp kitchen rag or sponge gets the job done. But when you’re looking for a deep clean, you need a more comprehensive approach.
Here’s our six-step deep cleaning process for Breville toaster ovens:
1. Do a quick safety check – Make sure your toaster oven is unplugged and completely cooled down, especially if you recently used it.
2. Gather your cleaning essentials – Prepare a non-abrasive liquid cleanser (no need for baking soda paste!) and apply it to a soft, damp sponge or rag. Remember to always apply cleansers to your cleaning cloth or tool, never directly onto the oven's surface, interior, or accessories.
3. Address crumbs and food residues – Slide out the crumb tray and empty it, giving it a quick wipe down. For baked-on grease stains, you might need to soak the tray in warm soapy water, rinse, and then let dry. Just remember to reinsert it before plugging the machine back in.
4. Attend to other removable parts – Remove any other parts designed to be taken out, like the oven racks or drip pans. Wash them in warm soapy water with a soft sponge, avoiding abrasive cleansers or metal scouring pads. To prolong the life of these parts, it’s best to skip the dishwasher.
5. Clean the exterior – Wipe the outer body with your damp sponge. Clean the LCD screen with a soft, damp cloth (never dry, as that can scratch the screen). For the glass door, choose a glass cleaner or mild detergent paired with soft plastic scouring pads to ensure a scratch-free clean.
6. Clean the interior – The inside walls of a Breville toaster oven have a non-stick coating for easier cleaning. Gently wipe down the interior, using your liquid cleanser (again, applied to the cloth or sponge) if need be, being mindful around the quartz heating elements.
Pro tip: You can even use old newspapers to catch loose crumbs and to wipe the glass of your toaster oven clean without streaks.
Once everything has thoroughly dried, simply reassemble, plug in, and enjoy your freshly-cleaned kitchen appliance.