Ramen Noodle Soup with Soy Eggs
5 hrs total time
20 mins active time
- 1 ear fresh corn
- 7½ oz ramen noodles
- 1 nori sheet
cut into thin strips
- 3½ oz Chinese barbecued pork
- 8 oz can sliced bamboo shoots
drained, cut into strips
For the soy eggs:
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup (4 fl oz) warm water
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (6 fl oz) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
For the soup:
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 14 oz mixed fresh mushrooms (shiitake, oyster, enoki)
larger ones torn in half
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 tbsp yellow miso
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 48 fl oz fish or vegetable stock
- 1 bunch bok choy
leaves separated, washed
- Crispy pork crackling
- Crispy fried onions
- Shichimi togarashi (optional)
- 1To make the soy eggs, fill the pot of the Precision Poacher with water up to the BOIL fill line. Cover with the lid and insert probe through the vent. Press METHOD button to select POACH/BOIL. Press TEMPERATURE button to select 212°F. Press TEXTURE button to select MEDIUM. Press START to preheat water.
- 2Once preheated the unit will beep. Place the eggs onto the egg tray and lower into the pot. Cover with the lid and insert probe through the vent. Press START. Cool eggs under cold running water after cooking, then peel.
- 3Whisk together the ½ cup (4 fl oz) warm water and the sugar until dissolved, then stir in the soy sauce and sherry vinegar. Add the eggs, placing a small saucer over the top to keep the eggs submerged. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours to marinate. Drain and cut in half lengthwise.
- 4Fill the pot of the Precision Poacher with water up to the STEAM fill line. Cut the corn into 3 pieces. Place the corn onto the egg tray and lower into the pot. Cover with the lid.
- 5Press METHOD button to select STEAM. Press time button to select 3 minutes and press START. Once finished, transfer the corn to a cutting board and cut the kernels off the cob. Set aside.
- 6Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking process, drain again. Divide the noodles evenly among 4 large serving bowls.
- 7To make the soup, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, tossing, for 6-8 minutes until browned. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- 8Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir in miso, soy sauce and red wine vinegar. Whisk in the stock and bring to a simmer. Add the bok choy and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until just wilted.
- 9Ladle the hot soup over the noodles in the bowls. Add the bok choy, mushrooms, eggs, corn, nori, barbecued pork and bamboo shoots. Serve topped with the crackling, fried onions and kim chi and sprinkle with shichimi togarashi, if desired.