Speedy Tortilla Soup
30 mins total time
15 mins active time
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Mexican chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 14½ oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (16 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 15½ oz can red kidney beans
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 4-inch/10cm-diameter corn tortillas
cut into ¼-inch/5mm strips
- Corn kernels
- Cilantro leaves
- 1Put the onion and garlic in the blender and secure the lid. CHOP for 10 seconds or until coarsely chopped.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion mixture, chili powder and cumin. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute until fragrant. Transfer to the blender.
- 3Add the tomatoes, stock, celery and oregano to the blender and secure the lid. Blend on the SOUP program until the program finishes.
- 4Reserve 1/3 cup (3 ½ oz) of the drained kidney beans. Add the remaining beans to the blender and secure the lid. PUREE for 2 minutes until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan and stir over medium-high heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the tortilla strips. Cook, turning, for 2 minutes until golden and crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with the remaining oil and tortilla strips.
- 6Divide the soup among serving bowls, top with avocado, corn, the reserved beans, cilantro and tortilla strips.