Baked Chocolate Mousse with Milk Crumble and Spiced Cream
This is one heavenly chocolate dessert that is sure to put a twinkle in the eye. Rich baked mousse and crisp milk crumble brought together with a swirl of sweet, spiced cream. Even better, it can be made in advance.
3 hrs total time
35 mins active time
- Cooking spray
- Fresh raspberries
For the baked chocolate mousse:
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup (2¼ oz) white sugar
- 3 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 2 oz unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) water
For the milk crumble:
- ¼ cup (1 oz) skim milk powder
- 4 tsp ground almonds
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp white sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp (1 oz) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the spiced cream:
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) heavy cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground coriander
(or ½ tsp any fragrant ground spice such as cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and nutmeg)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1Spray 2 x ¾ cup (6 fl oz) ramekins with cooking spray. Line the sides and bases with parchment paper, extending the paper ¾-inch above the rim. Spray the base and sides of the paper with cooking spray.
- 2Place the egg and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk on high speed until pale and creamy. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 3Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water, ensuring the base of the bowl does not touch the water. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove the pan from the heat, leaving the bowl on the pan to keep warm. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 4Place the water and remaining 1½ oz sugar in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve.
- 5Once the syrup comes to a boil, pour into the chocolate mixture, stirring to combine.
- 6Insert the wire rack into position 5. Select BAKE/CONVECTION/250°F/1 hour 30 minutes and press START to preheat. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 7Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the warm chocolate mixture to the egg, in a thin, steady stream. Scrape the bowl and continue whisking slowly until combined.
- 8Place a wet kitchen cloth on the pizza pan and place the ramekins on the cloth. Divide the chocolate mixture evenly among the ramekins. The wet kitchen cloth prevents the ramekins sliding on the pan.
- 9Once preheated, place the pan in the oven and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes. Halfway during cooking, rotate the pan. Mousse is ready when a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 10Place the ramekins on a wire rack to cool for at least 1 hour. Mousse is best served at room temperature. Meanwhile, prepare the milk crumble and spiced cream. If making the mousse more than 12 hours ahead, once cooled, refrigerate until required. Or wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 1 month.
- 11To make the milk crumble, combine the milk powder, ground almonds, cornstarch, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Add the melted butter and vanilla and whisk until clusters form. Refrigerate until required.
- 12To make the spiced cream, place the cream, sugar, spice and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk on medium-high speed for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft peaks form. Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate until required.
- 13Ensure the wire rack is in position 5 and adjust the oven. Select BAKE/CONVECTION/ 230°F/15 minutes and press START to preheat. Meanwhile, lightly grease the roasting pan and line with parchment paper. Transfer the milk crumble to the pan.
- 14Once preheated, place the pan in the oven and cook for 15 minutes, or until the crumble is dry to the touch and resembles biscuit crumbs.
- 15Turn the mousse out onto serving plates and remove the parchment paper.
- 16Serve mousse with the spiced cream and milk crumble and raspberries.