Apple Cinnamon Butter Cake
3 hrs 30 mins total time
30 mins active time
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter
softened, plus 1 tablespoon, melted, for brushing
- ½ cup sugar
plus 2 teaspoons for topping
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 medium green apple
cored, peeled, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Whipped cream
- 1Sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- 2Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy. With mixer running, add eggs one at a time.
- 3Using a rubber spatula, fold flour mixture into batter in 3 batches, alternating milk.
- 4Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper and grease lightly with cooking spray.
- 5Spread batter into prepared pan. Top with apple slices, overlapping them slightly. Brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Stir together cinnamon and 2 teaspoons sugar and sprinkle over apple.
- 6Place trivet on turntable, press OVEN and set to 350°F for 50 minutes. Press START to begin preheating. When preheat has completed, place pan on trivet and press START to begin cooking.
- 7Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely. Serve with whipped cream.