Freeform Apple, Rhubarb and Crumble Tart
1 hr 45 mins total time
30 mins active time
- 1¼ cups (6½ oz) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (1½ oz) powdered sugar
- ¼ cup (1 oz) ground almond
- 4½ oz unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp ice water
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp demerara or turbinado (raw) sugar
For the crumble:
- ¼ cup (1¾ oz) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (1½ oz) blanched almonds
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup (¾ oz) old fashioned rolled oats
- 1¾ oz cold unsalted butter
For the filling:
- 6¼ oz rhubarb
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Granny Smith apples
peeled and thinly sliced
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F
- 2Assemble the mixer with the glass bowl and scraper paddle. Add the flour, powdered sugar, ground almond and butter to the bowl. Slowly turn the mixer to FOLDING/KNEADING setting and mix until it resembles a sand- like texture.
- 3Add the egg yolk and gradually add the ice water (if needed) until pastry forms.
- 4Remove the pastry from the bowl and place it on a clean surface. Shape into a flat disk. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 5To make the crumble, put the sugar, almonds, cinnamon, oats and butter in a food processor and pulse until mixture starts to combine. Set aside.
- 6To make the filling, toss the rhubarb in the sugar and set aside.
- 7Roll the pastry between sheets of parchment paper to form a 14-inch round. Remove the top sheet of paper and transfer the pastry (on the paper) to a baking sheet. Scatter half of the crumble mixture over the center of pastry round. Top with the apple and rhubarb mixture. Sprinkle with remaining crumble mixture.
- 8Bring the edges of pastry up over filling, leaving top open. Brush the pastry with the egg white and sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
- 9Bake for 30-45 minutes until golden.
- 10Serve tart warm with ice cream.