Smoked Anchovy Butter
1 hr 10 mins total time
10 mins active time
Makes Makes 5 oz, 150g
- ½ cup (4 oz) unsalted butter
at room temperature
- ⅔ oz anchovy fillets
rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Pinch of hickory wood chips
- 1Process the butter, anchovies, zest and parsley in a small food processor until combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- 2Connect the large end of the hose to the Smoking Gun barrel. Add a pinch of wood chips to the burn chamber and place the other end of the hose under the plastic wrap with the opening sitting above the butter. Seal with plastic wrap.
- 3Turn the smoking gun on to HIGH Speed and ignite the wood chips. Switch to LOW Speed for a few seconds until the bowl is filled with a dense smoke. Switch to OFF position. Remove the hose and reseal the plastic wrap. Infuse for 3 minutes, then stir well.
- 4Meanwhile, cut a 12-inch square of parchment paper. Spoon the butter mixture onto the paper in a log shape, about 1½-inch in diameter. Roll up in the paper and twist the ends to seal. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Butter will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- 5Cut butter into ½-inch slices and serve over steak, chicken, shrimp or vegetables.
Share with friends