Smoked Chili Jam
1 hr 25 mins total time
15 mins active time
Makes 1 cup, 11 oz
- 6 long fresh hot red chilies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 oz piece fresh ginger
peeled and sliced
- 1 lb Roma tomatoes
- ½ cup (4 fl oz) white wine vinegar
- ½ cup (3½ oz) granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- Kosher salt
- 2 pinches of hickory wood chips
- 4½ lb chicken wings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1Process the chili peppers, garlic and ginger in a small food processor until finely chopped.
- 2Transfer the chili mixture to a large saucepan. Stir in the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, spices and fish sauce and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has reduced to a thick, jam-like consistency. Season with salt.
- 3Transfer the hot chilli jam to a 2-cup 16 fl oz sterilized jar and cover with plastic wrap.
- 4Connect the large end of the hose to the smoking gun barrel. Add a pinch of the wood chips to the burn chamber and place the other end of the hose under the plastic wrap with the opening sitting above the jam. Reseal with the plastic wrap.
- 5Turn the smoking gun on to HIGH and ignite the wood chips. Switch to LOW for a few seconds, until the jar is filled with a dense smoke. Turn off the Smoking Gun, remove the hose and reseal the jar with the plastic wrap. Infuse for 3 minutes, then uncover and stir well. Repeat the smoking process once more, adding another pinch of wood chips to the burn chamber. Cool and seal with lid. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- 6To serve with chicken wings, preheat the oven to 350°F. Toss the chicken with the oil in a large roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until chicken is golden and cooked through.
- 7Serve the wings with the smoked chili jam. This smoky Asian-inspired sweet chili jam is also excellent served with pork or added to stir-fries, marinades and dressings for a sweet and spicy kick.
Share with friends