Deep Dish Apple Pie
this recipe is tailored for:
5 hrs 30 mins total time
1 hr active time
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter
cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup ice water
- 5 lb apples
peeled, cored and sliced ¼-inch thick (varieties such as Granny Smith, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Whisk to mix thoroughly. Add butter and use your fingers to rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter resembles cornflakes. (If using a Breville food processor, pulse dry ingredients to combine, add butter and then pulse a few times until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.)
- 2Add the ice water and use your hands to gently work the dough until it just comes together. Be careful not to overwork the dough. (If using a Breville food processor, add ice water and pulse a few times to until the dough just starts to come together. It should not completely form into a ball.)
- 3Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form a ball. Divide the dough in half and form each portion into a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 4Prepare the filling. While the filling is cooling, roll out the bottom crust to about 14 inches in diameter and about 0.1-inch thick. Gently fold it in half and drape it in the bottom of the pie dish. Carefully unfold the crust. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes before adding the filling.
- 5While the bottom crust chills, roll out the top crust. Place it in the center of a sheet of parchment paper. Gently fold the crust into quarters. Use the parchment paper to enclose the folded crust. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- 6In a small bowl, stir together ½ cup (100g) sugar, brown sugar, spices, salt and cornstarch. Set aside.
- 7Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add half of the butter and heat until melted. Add the apple slices and remaining ½ cup (100g) sugar, toss to coat evenly. Cook apples over medium heat for 10 to 20 minutes to slightly soften, gently stirring frequently to ensure even cooking. (Parcooking the apples with sugar will preshrink them and help prevent the large empty space that often forms beneath the baked crust.)
- 8When the apples are softened, using the lid, drain off the liquid from the pan and discard. Add remaining butter and stir to evenly coat the apples. Spread the apples onto a rimmed baking sheet in a shallow layer and cool to room temperature. Set aside the Dutch oven, but don’t wash it.
- 9After the apples have cooled, scrape them back into the Dutch oven and sprinkle with sugar, spice and cornstarch mixture. Stir to coat apples evenly.
- 10Remove the crust-lined pie dish and top crust from the refrigerator. Set the top crust aside. Evenly fill the pie dish with the prepared apples.
- 11Remove the quartered top crust from the parchment paper and center the point on top of the pie. Carefully unfold the crust, making sure it is pliable and does not crack. (If crust is too cold to unfold without cracking, wait another 2 or 3 minutes to unfold it.)
- 12Use kitchen shears or a sharp knife to evenly trim both crusts so that ½ inch extends beyond the rim. Crimp together the edges. Refrigerate the pie for 15 minutes or place in freezer for 10 minutes to firm up the crust. Before baking, use a sharp knife to cut 4 or 5 2-inch long slits in the top crust to vent the steam.
- 13Insert wire rack into rack position 8. Select BAKE/350°F/CONVECTION/1 hour 15 minutes and enable Rotate Remind and press START to preheat.
- 14Once preheated, place pie on the included pizza pan or other baking pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes until crust is crisp and golden brown and juices are bubbling. Carefully rotate pie when Rotate Remind signals.Tip: Line the pizza pan with foil in case juices leak out during baking
- 15Remove pie from oven and allow it to cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours before serving.