The Smoke House Pizza
8 hrs 30 mins total time
20 mins active time
Makes 4 pizzas
For the pizza dough:
- 1¼ lb bread flour
- 2 tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp instant dried yeast
- 1½ cups (12 fl oz) cold water
- Olive oil
For the caramelized onions:
- 3½ oz unsalted butter
- 5 red onions
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 star anise
For the pizza:
- 7 oz bacon slices
- 2 cups (16 fl oz) barbecue sauce
- 7 oz smoked bocconcini
- 12 oz smoked cheddar cheese
- Thyme leaves
- 1Place the flour, salt and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the dough hook, mix to combine. Add the water and knead on low speed for 5-6 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- 2Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- 3Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured countertop and divide into 4 x 8½ oz pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball.
- 4Lightly sprinkle two baking sheets with semolina and place the dough balls on the baking sheets, leaving 4-inches between the balls. Drizzle each ball with a little oil, spread the oil to coat the dough. Cover each baking sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to 5 days.
- 5An hour before cooking remove the dough from the refrigerator and stand, covered, at room temperature. Meanwhile, make the caramelized onions.
- 6Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions, salt and star anise and cook, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes, or until soft and caramelized. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and allow to cool. Remove the star anise. Meanwhile, cook the bacon.
- 7Preheat the oven to 355°F. Place the bacon on a tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 18 minutes or until beginning to crisp. Set aside to cool, then chop into small pieces.
- 8About 20 minutes before the dough has finished resting preheat the oven. Select the WOOD FIRED setting. Turn the DARKNESS setting to the DARKER dial and select 2 minutes on the TIMER dial (preheat can take up to 20 minutes).
- 9Sprinkle semolina on a clean countertop. Use a bench scraper to lift one of the dough balls and place on the countertop. Sprinkle semolina over the dough. Keep the remaining dough covered to prevent it from drying out. Gently press out the dough working from the center into a 9-inch round, leaving a ½-inch border. Lightly sprinkle the peel with semolina. Carefully transfer the dough onto the peel, gently removing any excess semolina.
- 10Spread a quarter of the barbecue sauce evenly over the dough to the border. Scatter with a quarter of the bacon pieces, then top with a quarter of the caramelized onions. Scatter with a quarter of the bocconcini and cheddar.
- 11Once preheated, place the pizza in the oven and press the TIMER dial to start the timer. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the crust is spotted brown and the cheese has melted.
- 12Transfer to a cutting board and stand for 1 minute. Sprinkle with thyme, slice and serve. Repeat with the remaining dough, sauce and toppings.
- Ovens & Air Fryers
Classic Quiche Lorraine