3 hrs 35 mins total time
30 mins active time
Makes 1 loaf
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup warm water
- 2 cups bread flour
plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp instant dried yeast
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
at room temperature, plus extra to grease
- 1Combine the buttermilk and the warm water in a bowl. Place the flour, salt, sugar and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the dough hook, mix on low speed to combine.
- 2Slowly add the buttermilk mixture and knead on medium speed for 7 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- 3Add the butter and continue kneading until the butter is worked into the dough.
- 4Transfer the dough to heatproof bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place the bowl in the oven in rack position 8.
- 5Select PROOF/ 88°F/CONVECTION/ 40 MINUTES and press START. Proof the dough until doubled in size.
- 6Grease a 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan with butter and coat with flour, shaking out the excess flour.
- 7Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape the dough into an 8-inch log and place it into the pan. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and place in the oven in rack position 8.
- 8Select PROOF/ 88°F (31°C)/CONVECTION/ 40 MINUTES and press START. Proof the dough until it rises just above the pan.
- 9Remove the dough from the oven.
- 10Reset the oven. Select BAKE/ 350°F/CONVECTION / 40 MINUTES and press START to preheat.
- 11Carefully remove the plastic wrap. Place the extra flour in a sieve and lightly dust the loaf with flour.
- 12Once preheated, place the loaf in the oven and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.
- 13Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.