Air-Fried Falafel with Spicy Feta Sauce
9 hrs 20 mins total time
40 mins active time
Makes 12, 1 cup sauce
- 1¼ cups (8 oz) dried chickpeas
- 1 cup (½ oz) lightly packed Italian parsley leaves
- 1 cup (½ oz) lightly packed cilantro leaves
- 6 green onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Spicy feta sauce:
- 8 oz good-quality feta cheese (block form)
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp red-pepper flakes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1Rinse chickpeas and place in a large bowl. Cover with enough cold water to allow chickpeas to triple in volume. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- 2The next day, rinse chickpeas and let drain in a strainer while preparing remaining ingredients.
- 3Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a Breville food processor. Process until finely ground, about 30 seconds, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- 4Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and cover. Refrigerate for 20 minutes before forming falafel.
- 5Prepare spicy feta sauce while falafel batter rests. Combine feta, garlic, oregano and pepper flakes in the bowl of a Breville food processor. Process until feta is broken down and smooth, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 6With the machine running, add the olive oil through the feed tube and process until incorporated. Combine water and lemon juice in a small bowl. With the machine running, add the lemon juice mixture through the feed tube and process until a sauce forms. Use immediately or cover and store in refrigerator. Sauce will thicken when chilled; if necessary, remove from refrigerator to warm slightly and whisk before using.
- 7Scoop two heaping tablespoons per falafel and gently form into a slightly flattened ball. Arrange falafels evenly on the airfry basket.
- 8Select AIRFRY/450°F/SUPER CONVECTION/15 minutes and press START to preheat oven.
- 9Cook in rack position 4 until lightly browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- 10Serve immediately with spicy feta sauce.