Grilled Harissa Chicken and Arugula Salad
North Africa’s favorite chili paste, harissa, is the inspirational ingredient in this recipe. Hot and spicy chicken is teamed up with a lemony chickpea, feta and arugula salad.
40 mins total time
20 mins active time
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 14 oz boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
For the salad:
- 1 x 15½ oz can chickpeas
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes
cut in half
- 4 oz feta cheese
- ⅓ cup (½ oz) cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup (½ oz) mint leaves
- 2 oz arugula
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1Combine the harissa and oil.
- 2Cut in half horizontally, without cutting all the way through. Open out and lay flat.
- 3For easy cleaning and to avoid burning, line the roasting pan with foil and place the broiling rack on top. Lay the chicken on the rack and brush both sides with the harissa mixture. Sprinkle with salt.
- 4Insert the wire rack into position 2. Place the pan in the oven and start the timer. When the oven signals, turn the chicken over and broil the other side. Meanwhile, assemble the salad.
- 5Place all the salad ingredients listed below in a bowl and toss to combine.
- 6The chicken is ready when a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads a minimum of 167°F. If not, give it a bit more.
- 7Combine all the dressing ingredients. Pour over the salad and toss to coat.
- 8Add the arugula and toss to combine. Adding it just before serving helps it stay fresh.
- 9Slice the chicken into ½-inch pieces. Serve with the salad.