Dehydrated Honey-Rosemary Roasted Activated Almonds
1 day 12 hrs 20 mins total time
10 mins active time
- 8 oz raw almonds
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1Place almonds and salt in a bowl. Add cold tap water to cover the almonds by 1-inch. Let soak at room temperature for 12 hours to activate.
- 2Rinse almonds under cold running water, then drain. Spread in a single layer on the dehydrate basket.
- 3Place basket in rack position 4. Select DEHYDRATE/100°F/SUPER CONVECTION/24 hours and press START.
- 4Dehydrate almonds for 24 hours or until dry and slightly crunchy but also spongy in the center. Almonds can be eaten plain or roasted following steps 5-9.
- 5Place honey in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until runny. Put activated nuts in a medium bowl and pour over warm honey. Stir to coat nuts evenly. Add sugar, rosemary and salt and stir to combine.
- 6Line roasting pan with parchment paper. Spread almonds in a single layer on the roasting pan.
- 7Insert wire rack into rack position 6. Select BAKE/350°F/CONVECTION/10 minutes and enable Rotate Remind. Press START to preheat oven.
- 8Once preheated, place almonds in oven and roast for 8 to 10 minutes until golden and sticky, rotating the pan and stirring almonds when Rotate Remind signals.
- 9Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container. Note: What are activated almonds: Soaking almonds and other nuts is believed to break down the phytic acid they contain and may make them easier to digest. Nuts that have been soaked and dehydrated are called ‘activated’. To activate almonds, they need to be soaked in water for 12–24 hours and then dried at a low temperature to prevent them from getting moldy.