Crispy Acorn Squash with Brown Butter Aioli
1 hr 20 mins total time
40 mins active time
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp dried sage
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
Brown butter aioli (yields ¾ cup):
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
at room temperature
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cold water
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds and stringy pulp. Save seeds for airfried pumpkin seeds or discard. Slice each half crosswise into ½-inch thick slices. Peel slices, if desired.
- 2Combine panko, sage, chili powder, kosher salt and black pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until ingredients are well combined and slightly finer in texture, 5-7 pulses. Transfer panko mixture to a shallow dish.
- 3Place egg whites in a separate shallow dish and combine with 2 tablespoons water. Place flour in a third shallow dish.
- 4Working in batches, toss squash slices in flour and shake off any excess. Dip squash in egg white and allow excess to drain off. Dredge squash in panko mixture, ensuring all sides are well crusted. Place breaded squash on a large plate or baking pan.
- 5Arrange half of the squash in a single layer on the airfry basket, leaving space between each piece. 6. Select AIRFRY/400°F/SUPER CONVECTION/20 minutes and press START to preheat oven.
- 6Cook in rack position 4 until brown and crispy, about 20 minutes. Repeat with remaining squash. Make brown butter aioli while squash cooks.
- 7Serve immediately with brown butter aioli.
- 8Brown Butter Aioli. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently and scraping bottom, until butter turns brown and smells nutty, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a glass measuring cup. Let cool to just above room temperature.
- 9Combine egg yolk, garlic, lemon juice, water and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk well to combine. Whisking constantly, slowly add the brown butter to the yolk mixture a few drops at a time. Once about half of the butter is incorporated, increase the speed to a slow, thin stream. Do not add the butter too quickly. Whisk until aioli is thick and spreadable.
- 10Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. If refrigerating, remove from the refrigerator 10-15 minutes before using and stir well to restore creamy consistency.