Roasted Baby Carrots with Carrot-Top Pesto
1 hr 5 mins total time
35 mins active time
- 2 (21 oz) bunches baby carrots
with tops on
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the pesto:
- ½ cup (1½ oz) finely grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup (1¼ oz) shelled pistachios
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup (4 fl oz) extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- Greek-style yogurt
- 1Cut the carrot tops from the carrots, reserve the tops. Set the carrots aside. Pick the leaves from the carrot tops, you will need 1 1/3 cups, firmly packed (1 ½ oz), discard the rest. Thoroughly wash the leaves and pat dry with paper towels.
- 2To make the pesto, put the carrot leaves and the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend or process to a chunky paste. Spoon into a clean jar. Cover the top with a thin layer of olive oil. Refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months (makes 1 cup).
- 3Insert the wire rack into the middle shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select ROAST/CONVECTION/400°F/30 minutes and press start.
- 4Gently scrape the carrots with a knife to remove any dirt. Wash carrots then drain and pat dry with paper towel.
- 5Put the carrots in the roasting pan. Drizzle with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Turn to coat, then spread them evenly over the pan.
- 6Once preheated, put the carrots in the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- 7Carefully remove the pan from the oven, turn the carrots and roast for a further 15 minutes until tender.
- 8Put the roasted carrots on a serving platter. Spoon over ½ cup (4½ oz) of the pesto. Drizzle with the honey and serve with yogurt.