Mint Chocolate Gelato
9 hrs 30 mins total time
30 mins active time
Serves 1 quart
- 2½ cups (20 fl oz) milk
- ¾ cup (6 fl oz) heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
at room temperature
- ¾ cup (5¼ oz) superfine sugar
- 5 oz good quality dark chocolate
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- 3½ oz good quality dark chocolate
- Mint leaves
- 1Pour the milk and cream into a medium heavy-based saucepan. Stir over medium heat for 6-8 minutes until bubbles just start to form around the edge of the pan, do not boil. Remove from the heat.
- 2Put the egg yolks and sugar in a large heatproof bowl. Whisk until pale and creamy. Pour ½ cup (4 fl oz) of the hot milk mixture over the eggs and sugar and whisk to combine. Add the remaining milk mixture to the egg mixture, whisking to combine.
- 3Wash and dry the saucepan. Pour the mixture back into the pan. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon over low heat for 10-12 minutes, until the custard has thickened and coats the back of the wooden spoon, do not boil.
- 4Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate and whisk gently until the chocolate has melted and the custard is smooth. Stir in the peppermint extract.
- 5Strain the custard into a heatproof bowl and cover the surface directly with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 4 hours until cold.
- 6Pour the chilled mixture into the ice cream bowl. Set the ice cream maker to the desired setting and churn.
- 7Once the gelato is frozen transfer to a freezer-safe container, just large enough to contain the gelato. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight for firmer gelato.
- 8Scoop into bowls, sprinkle with dark chocolate and serve topped with mint leaves.
- 9Store gelato in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. The gelato will become very firm after freezing overnight, so remove from the freezer and stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving for easier scooping.