Peppermint Candy Cane Ice Cream
8 hrs 20 mins total time
20 mins active time
Makes 1 quart
- 20 (9 oz) peppermint candy canes
plus extra to serve
- ⅔ cup (5½ fl oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 2½ cups (20 fl oz) heavy cream
- ¼ tsp flaky sea salt
- 1Coarsely crush half of the candy canes and put them in a medium heavy-based saucepan. Add the sweetened condensed milk. Stir over medium-low heat, until the candy dissolves.
- 2Pour the cream into a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until warm. Add to the candy mixture and stir over medium heat until mixture is smooth. Stir in the salt. Transfer to a heatproof container. Allow to cool.
- 3Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours until cold.
- 4Pour the chilled mixture into the ice cream bowl. Set the ice cream maker to the desired setting and churn.
- 5Coarsely crush the remaining candy canes. Add the candy canes once the machine specifies to add in Mix-Ins.
- 6Once the ice cream is frozen transfer to a freezer-safe container, just large enough to contain the ice cream. Freeze for 6 hours or overnight for firmer ice cream.
- 7Scoop and serve in bowls sprinkled with extra crushed peppermint candy canes.
- 8Store ice cream in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. The ice cream will become very firm after freezing overnight, so remove from the freezer and stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving for easier scooping.
Share with friends