9 hrs 15 mins total time
30 mins active time
Makes 1 quart
- ¾ cup (5¼ oz) superfine sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ cup (4 fl oz) passionfruit pulp (about 6 passionfruit)
- 2⅓ cups (19 fl oz) milk
- ¾ cup (6 fl oz) heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
at room temperature
- Almond biscotti
- 1Put ¼ cup (2 oz) superfine sugar, water and passionfruit pulp in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a simmer, simmer for 1 minute. Transfer to a small heatproof bowl. Allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate 1 hour until cold.
- 2Pour the milk and cream into a medium heavy-based saucepan. Whisk gently over medium heat for 6-8 minutes until little bubbles just start to form around the edge of the pan, do not boil. Remove from the heat.
- 3Put the egg yolks and remaining ½ cup (3 ½ oz) sugar in a heatproof bowl. Using a balloon whisk, whisk until pale and creamy. Pour ½ cup (4 fl oz) of the hot milk mixture over the eggs and sugar, whisk until well combined. Add the remaining milk mixture to the egg mixture, whisking to combine.
- 4Wash and dry the saucepan. Pour the mixture back into the clean saucepan. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon over low heat for 10-12 minutes, until the custard has thickened and coats the back of the wooden spoon, do not boil.
- 5Strain the custard into a clean heatproof bowl and cover the surface directly with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 4 hours until cold.
- 6Stir the passionfruit mixture into the chilled custard.
- 7Pour the chilled mixture into the ice cream bowl. Set the ice cream maker to the desired setting and churn.
- 8Once the gelato is frozen, transfer to a freezer-safe container, just large enough to contain the gelato. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight for firmer gelato.
- 9Scoop into bowls and serve with almond biscotti.
- 10Store gelato in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. The gelato will become very firm after freezing overnight, so remove from the freezer and stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving for easier scooping.