Poached Rhubarb and Vanilla Custard Waffles
35 mins total time
15 mins active time
- 1 lb fresh rhubarb
cut into 1½ in lengths
- ¾ cup (5¼ oz) superfine sugar
- 1 cup (8 fl oz) water
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups (16 fl oz) milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 9 tbsp (4½ oz) butter
- 1 cup vanilla pudding powder
- 1¾ cups (9 oz) self-rising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Vanilla custard
- Powdered sugar
- 1Combine the rhubarb, ¼ cup (1¾ oz) superfine sugar and the water in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes until the rhubarb is just tender. Strain the rhubarb, discarding the liquid.
- 2Put the egg yolks, milk, vanilla and butter in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined.
- 3Combine the pudding powder, flour, baking powder and remaining ½ cup (3½ oz) superfine sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- 4Whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture to form a smooth batter. Fold in half of the rhubarb.
- 5Beat the egg whites with a stand mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
- 6Select BELGIAN waffle setting and dial up 6 on LIGHT/DARK indicator dial.
- 7Preheat until the orange light flashes and the word HEATING disappears.
- 8Pour ½ cup of the batter into each waffle square. Close the lid and cook.
- 9Repeat with the remaining batter.
- 10Serve waffles with the custard and remaining rhubarb, dusted with powdered sugar.