Corn and Bacon Waffles
35 mins total time
15 mins active time
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz bacon slices
- 4 large eggs
- 2½ cups (20 fl oz) buttermilk
- ¾ cup (6 fl oz) vegetable oil
- 1¼ cups (6½ oz) self-rising flour
- 1¼ cups (7½ oz) fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 tbsp superfine sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 ears of corn
shucked, kernels removed
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Baby spinach leaves
- Pan-fried bacon
- Poached eggs
- Basil pesto
- Basil leaves
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- 2Meanwhile, select BUTERMILK waffle setting and dial up number 5 on the LIGHT/DARK indicator dial.
- 3Preheat until the orange light flashes and the word HEATING disappears.
- 4Place the eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined.
- 5Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- 6Whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture to form a smooth batter.
- 7Stir in the bacon, corn and parsley.
- 8Pour ½ cup of batter into each waffle square and close the lid to cook.
- 9Repeat with the remaining batter.
- 10Serve waffles topped with spinach, pan-fried bacon, poached egg, pesto and basil leaves.