Pork Sichuan Pepper
3 hrs total time
45 mins active time
- ⅔ cup (5½ oz) oyster sauce
- ⅓ cup (2¾ oz) soy sauce
- 1 orange
zested and juiced
- 1 cup (8 fl oz) water
- 3 makrut (wild) lime leaves
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger
peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3½ oz fresh shiitake mushroom
- 2 star anise
- 3 long hot red chili peppers
- ⅓ (4¼ oz) honey
- 12 thick slices fresh pork belly
- 1 lb choy sum
- Steamed jasmine rice
- 1Insert the rack into the bottom shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select SLOW COOK/CONVECTION/ HIGH and press start, then reduce the cooking time to 2 hours.
- 2Put the oyster sauce, soy sauce, orange zest and juice, water, lime leaves, ginger, garlic, Sichuan pepper, onion, mushrooms, star anise, chili peppers and ¼ cup (3 ¼ oz) of the honey in a 4 ½ qt Dutch oven and stir until well combined. Add the pork, pressing down into the marinade. Press a piece of parchment paper onto the surface, this helps keep the pork submerged. Cover with a tight-fitting lid or double layer of foil, pressed down around the edges to seal.
- 3Once preheated, put the pork in the oven. Cook for 2 hours until tender.
- 4Grease the roasting pan. Set the broiling rack over the roasting pan. Remove the pork from the braising liquid, reserving the braising liquid. Place the pork in a single layer on the broiling rack. Spoon ½ cup (4 fl oz) of the braising liquid over the pork.
- 5In a small bowl, mix together the remaining honey and 3 tablespoons of the reserved raising liquid.
- 6Brush the pork generously with the honey mixture. Move the rack to the middle shelf position. Place the pork in the oven. Select BROIL/HIGH/8 minutes and press start.
- 7Remove the pork from the oven, turn over and brush again with the remaining honey mixture. Return to the oven. Select BROIL/HIGH/8 minutes and press start.
- 8Transfer the pork to a board, cut into pieces. Spoon over the juices from the roasting pan. Serve with choy sum and rice.Tip: Before you begin cooking, check that the Dutch oven fits in the oven.