Slow Roasted Lamb Shoulder with Tomato and Olive Salad
8 hrs 40 mins total time
40 mins active time
- 2 cups (17 oz) Greek-style yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- ¼ bunch thyme
- 4 thick cilantro sprigs
cleaned, finely chopped
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
plus extra to season
- 6 lb bone-in lamb shoulder
- Olive oil
For the tomato salad:
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber
seeds removed, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- ½ red onion
- 1 large red bell pepper
cut into ¾-inch pieces
- ½ cup (2½ oz) pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 cup (1 oz) firmly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 tbsp (1½ fl oz) extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt
For the garlic pita:
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
plus extra for serving
- 4 pita breads
- 1Put 1 1/3 cups (11 oz) of the yoghurt, garlic, lemon zest, thyme, cilantro, sea salt, and the pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- 2Put the lamb on a large plate. Spoon over the yogurt mixture and turn so the lamb is well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight to marinate.
- 3Grease the roasting pan with oil. Put the lamb in the roasting pan, fat side up. Spoon any marinade left on the plate over the top of the lamb. Cover with two layers of foil, pressed down around the edges to seal.
- 4Insert the wire rack into the bottom shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select ROAST/CONVECTION/275°F/3 hours.
- 5Once preheated, put the lamb in the oven and cook for 3 hours.
- 6Remove the lamb from the oven.
- 7Set the oven to ROAST/CONVECTION/275°F/1 hour.
- 8Uncover the lamb and put it back in the oven to roast for 1 hour.
- 9Remove the lamb from the oven and set aside to rest for 20 minutes.
- 10Meanwhile, make the tomato salad, cut the tomatoes in half and then into thick wedges. Put the tomatoes in a large bowl. Add the cucumber, onion, bell pepper, olives and parsley. Add the oil, lemon juice and salt. Season with pepper and toss gently to combine.
- 11To make the garlic pita, combine the garlic and oil in a small bowl. Brush one side of each pita with the oil.
- 12Insert the wire rack into the top shelf position. Set the oven to BROIL/HIGH/1 minute. Broil the pita in batches for 1 minute until lightly toasted.
- 13Shred the lamb into large pieces and put on serving plates. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, serve with tomato salad, pita and the remaining yogurt.