Lamb Shank Ragu
4 hrs 30 mins total time
30 mins active time
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 (3½ lb) lamb shanks
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small yellow onions
- 6 anchovy fillets
drained and chopped
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium carrots
- 7 oz pancetta
- 24 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup (8 oz) water
- ¼ cup (¼ oz) firmly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- ¼ cup (¼ oz) firmly packed oregano leaves
- Soft polenta
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1Heat a 4 ½-qt Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and 2 lamb shanks to the Dutch oven and cook for 6 minutes, turning until brown all over. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining lamb shanks. Remove from the Dutch oven.
- 2Add the remaining oil and onions to the Dutch oven. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes until soft.
- 3Add the anchovies and pepper flakes, cook stirring for 1 minute.
- 4Add the carrots and pancetta, cook stirring for 2 minutes. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and water and bring to a boil. Stir in the parsley and oregano.
- 5Return the lamb and any accumulated juices to the Dutch oven, ensuring the lamb is submerged in the sauce. Press a sheet of parchment paper onto the surface, this will help keep the lamb submerged.
- 6Cover with a tight fitting lid or double layer of foil, pressed down around the edges to seal.
- 7Insert the wire rack into the bottom shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select SLOW COOK/CONVECTION/ HIGH/4 hours and press start.
- 8Once preheated, put the lamb in the oven and cook for 4 hours. The lamb should start to fall off the bone, so take care when serving.
- 9Spoon the polenta into four serving bowls. Top each with 1 lamb shank and spoon over the sauce. Sprinkle with parsley, season with pepper and serve.Tip: Before you start cooking, check that the Dutch oven has a tight-fitting lid and fits in the oven.