7 Layer Nachos
This is a 7-layer party in a pan - a fiesta of flavor, color and crunch! Beef n beans, gooey cheese and a fresh, zingy guacamole are just the start. There’ll be a surprise in every mouthful – all you have to do is dip yer chips!
35 mins total time
25 mins active time
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 14½ oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 16 oz can refried beans
- ⅓ cup (2¼ oz) chopped pickled jalapeños
- 4 tomatoes
finely chopped, divided
- 1¾ cups (8 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (8½ oz) sour cream
- 5 oz tortilla chips
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
For the guacamole:
- 2 large avocados
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over high heat. Add the oil and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
- 2Add the ground beef and cook, stirring to break up the meat for 4 minutes, or until cooked through. Add the onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt and sugar and cook, stirring for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- 3Add the canned tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, or until reduced slightly.
- 4Transfer the beef mixture to a bowl.
- 5Spread the refried beans over the base of the skillet and top with the beef mixture.
- 6Sprinkle with the jalapeños, two-thirds of the tomatoes and about two-thirds of the cheese.
- 7Insert the wire rack into position 6. Press PHASE COOK, for P1 select AIR FRY/SUPER CONVECTION/400°F/6 minutes and press CONFIRM. For P2 select BROIL/HIGH/3 minutes and press START to preheat.
- 8Once preheated, place the skillet in the oven and cook until the cheese has melted.
- 9Meanwhile, make the guacamole. Place the avocados in a large bowl and mash until almost smooth. Add the lime juice and salt.
- 10Top the nachos with a layer of guacamole followed with a layer of sour cream.
- 11Top with a layer of tortilla chips and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- 12Return the skillet to the oven. Select BROIL/MEDIUM/3 minutes and press START. Broil until the cheese has melted and the tortilla chips are lightly browned.
- 13Serve sprinkled with the remaining tomatoes and cilantro.Tip: The fat content of tortilla chips varies from brand to brand which can affect the broiling time. Keep a close eye when broiling to avoid overbrowning.