Grilled Thai Beef Salad
This colorful, healthy salad is ready to eat in as little as 30 minutes. The dressing is a perfectly balanced combination of sweet, salty and sour for the finishing touch.
30 mins total time
15 mins active time
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
For the salad:
- 1½ lb beef flank steak
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes
cut in half
- ½ cup (½ oz) mint leaves
- ½ cup (½ oz) cilantro leaves
- ½ small red onion
- 1 hothouse cucumber
- ⅓ cup (1½ oz) unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1Whisk all the dressing ingredients together. Measure out ¼ cup (2 fl oz) for the marinade and reserve the remaining dressing for the salad.
- 2For easy cleaning and to avoid burning, line the roasting pan with foil and place the broiling rack on top. Place the steak on the rack and brush both sides with the ¼ cup dressing.
- 3Insert the wire rack into position 2. Place the pan in the oven and start the timer. When the oven signals, turn the steak over and broil the other side. While the steak is cooking, assemble the salad.
- 4Combine the lettuce, tomatoes, herbs and onion in a large bowl.
- 5Cooking time is for medium doneness. If you like your steak cooked longer, give it a bit more.
- 6Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover loosely with foil. Stand for 5 minutes to allow the juices to settle. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 7Cut the cucumber in half. Use a mandoline to thinly slice into ribbons and add to the salad.
- 8Drain the steak and thinly slice. Add to the salad. Reserve the pan juices.
- 9Pour the pan juices into the reserved dressing and stir.
- 10Add the dressing and peanuts to the salad.