Heirloom Carrots with Carrot Top Pesto
The carrot tops are used to make the pesto, and the natural sweetness of the carrots get intensified when air fried, making this a truly amazing recipe.
40 mins total time
20 mins active time
- 1½ lb heirloom carrots
with tops on
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the pesto:
- ½ cup (1½ oz) finely grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup (1 oz) shelled pistachios
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup (4 fl oz) extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1Remove and discard the tough stems, keeping only the tender tops. Thoroughly wash the tops and pat dry between paper towels.
- 2Blend 1 1/3 cups of the carrot tops with the pesto ingredients into a chunky paste. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 3Insert the wire rack into position 6. Meanwhile, continue to the next step.
- 4Gently scrape the carrots to remove any dirt, wash and drain well on paper towels. The tender skin on heirloom carrots does not need to be peeled.
- 5Place the carrots in a bowl, add the oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Place in a single layer in the roasting pan.
- 6Once preheated, place the pan in the oven and start the timer.
- 7The carrots should be tender when pierced with a knife. The knife should easily slide in without any resistance. If not, give it a bit more.
- 8Spoon over the pesto.