Laura Meyer’s New York Style (Old) Pizza Dough
Laura Meyer

Laura Meyer

Laura Meyer’s New York Style (Old) Pizza Dough

This dough is a great versatile dough that can be made into a classic New York style round pie or adapted for a pan pie.
the Smart Oven® Pizzaiolo
the Smart Oven® Pizzaiolo Product Details

the Smart Oven® Pizzaiolo

3 days total time

20 mins active time


Makes 3



  • high protein high gluten flour (Tony’s Artisan) icon
    500 g high protein high gluten flour (Tony’s Artisan)
  • none diastatic malt icon
    5 g none diastatic malt
  • active dry yeast icon
    3 g active dry yeast
  • warm water icon
    40 g warm water

    (around 85°F)

  • cold water icon
    300 g cold water

    (around 60°F)

  • fine sea salt icon
    10 g fine sea salt
  • extra-virgin olive oil icon
    10 g extra-virgin olive oil


  • 1Mix flour and malt together in the bowl of the stand mixer.
  • 2In another bowl mix the yeast with the warm water and set aside for a few minutes.
  • 3With the stand mixer on low, add 80% of the cold water and the yeast mixture. Use the remaining 20% of cold water to rinse the bowl of any remaining yeast. Mix for 3 minutes on medium speed.
  • 4Stop the mixer and pull the dough away from the hook, add the sea salt towards the middle of the dough. Mix for an additional 2 minutes.
  • 5Stop the mixer and pull the dough away from the hook. Pour the olive oil into the center of the dough and turn the speed on low to medium. Mix for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until fully incorporated.
  • 6Stop the mixer and pull the dough out onto a clean counter. Knead the dough for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the surface of the dough becomes smooth, you can no longer feel any salt or oil and the surface is taught and bounces back when you press it with your finger.
    Tip: Lightly dust the dough with a little extra flour if you find it difficult to work with.
  • 7Let the dough rest on the counter covered with a damp towel for 20 minutes to 1 hour if cool.
  • 8Place the dough into a bowl that is big enough for it to double if not triple in size. Cover and place in your refrigerator for 2 days.
  • 9After 2 days remove from your refrigerator, de-gas the dough using your fingers to press down and divide into 3 x 10 oz portions.
  • 10Roll each portion into a tight ball, place on a sheet pan and cover with plastic wrap. Alternatively if you have a large enough container, make sure the lids seal so no air flow from your refrigerator can get inside drying out your dough. Refrigerate your dough balls for an additional 24 hours.
  • 11On the day of baking, pull your dough out at least 2 to 3 hours before use. You want your dough to come to room temperature before baking so if it is a cool kitchen you may need to take your dough out earlier or later if it’s warmer.
    Tip: Cook the topped pizza in the Smart Oven® Pizzaiolo on manual mode. Deck temperature 500°F, Top temperature 475°F, Top control set to Even heat for about 5 to 7 minutes, turning every 1 to 2 minutes.

Similar Recipes