Soft Buttermilk Bread
3 hrs 35 mins total time
30 mins active time
Makes 1 loaf
- ⅔ cup (5½ fl oz) buttermilk
- ½ cup (4 fl oz) warm water
- 2½ cups (13¼ oz) bread flour
plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp flaky sea salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp instant dried yeast
- 1 tbsp (½ oz) unsalted butter
at room temperature, plus extra to grease
- 1Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with butter and coat with flour, shaking out the excess flour.
- 2Combine the buttermilk and water.
- 3Put the flour, salt, sugar and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook. Mix on medium speed to combine. Add the buttermilk mixture and knead on medium speed for 6-8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Add the butter and mix on medium speed until it is worked into the dough.
- 4Turn the dough onto a countertop and knead into a ball. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- 5Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape the dough into a 9x4-inch log and place in the prepared pan. Dust the top with a little flour. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- 6Insert the wire rack into the bottom shelf position. Preheat the oven. Select BAKE/ CONVECTION/350°F/40 minutes and press start.
- 7Once preheated, place the bread into the oven and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.
- 8Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool for 1 hour. Serve.Tip: The bread is freshest on the day it’s baked. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.